This page is out of date. Click here to visit our new site.
This is one of the Threats identified during a SWOT analysis of the current world situation.
- The poor countries owe the rich ones more than one million million dollars.
- For every dollar given in aid, three come back to the rich nations in interest on this debt.
- Two in every three people live in poverty.
- Half the children in Africa live in absolute poverty.
- One child under 5 dies every 2.4 seconds in the poor countries. At least half these deaths could be prevented by a few low-cost health actions.
- Of every four people in the developing world, two have no clean water and three have no toilets. This is the reason for most common diseases in those countries.
- The aid which most rich countries give to poor countries is often tied to large engineering projects or purchases from the donor country which are not always appropriate to the recipient country.
- The burning down of the forests which began 10,000 years ago continues today. To make money to pay their debts poor countries are destroying their wealth. Tropical rain forests are being burnt down to clear land for fields An area equal to a football pitch is being cleared every two seconds. Much of this turns into desert within a few years.
Click for Further information about Poverty
Other History of the Universe Pages
News about History of the Universe